MAKING A SERVICE APPOINTMENT
Service Appointment Options
- Natural Gas Emergencies - If you smell gas, or if you have an emergency involving natural gas, leave the area immediately and call 911 and Washington Gas at 703-750-1400 or 1-800-752-7520. When notified of a natural gas leak, Washington Gas dispatches trained technicians to the scene 24-hours a day, 7 days a week.
- Moving In / Moving Out - Schedule your existing service to be disconnected or schedule your service to be turned on; (requires at least 72 hours notice, excluding weekends and holidays).
- No Heat / No Gas - If you have no heat or no gas to some or all of your appliances, call Washington Gas at 703-750-1000 to schedule a service appointment.
- Appliance Installation/Maintenance/Repair - Washington Gas service technicians are not able to service your appliances, but we have a network of contractors that can be contacted for this service.
- Marking Underground Utilities - MISS Utility - 811 is the national Call Before You Dig/Miss Utility telephone number that initiates the process of marking the underground utility lines in your yard or on your job.
Service Appointment Guidelines
- Access to Your Meter - If your meter is located inside your house or building, or behind a locked fence, someone over 18 years old will have to be home during the appointment time to provide access.
- Access to Your Home/Building - If your appointment requires the gas to your home or building to be interrupted, someone over 18 years old will have to be home during the appointment to provide access to your natural gas appliances, as they will have to be relit. If no one is present, we will not be able to turn on the gas service, as it would create an unsafe condition.
- Appointment Options - Washington Gas strives to meet your needs when scheduling service appointments, but appointment window options offered are based on available field service resources and appointments already scheduled with other customers. Depending on the service required and your flexibility with when the service is to occur, Washington Gas offers morning, afternoon, and all-day appointments, with limited 3-hour windows also available.
- Missed or Late Appointments - Washington Gas meets more than 97% of our service appointment times, but there are circumstances that can cause a late of missed appointment. These can include weather or traffic conditions, a large volume of emergency calls (for safety reasons, these take priority over other appointments), or prior appointments running long.
SERVICE APPOINTMENT NOTIFICATION PROGRAM
Washington Gas has instituted a program whereby customers will receive an automated reminder call 1-2 days prior to their scheduled appointment. The automated call will give customers the option of confirming, rescheduling or cancelling their service appointment. Customers should provide a primary and secondary phone number when scheduling service appointments in order to receive the reminder call.